Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Good is better than perfect*

So. Evidently I survived my first day of school. Yes, there where awkward silences. My main line of defense against those where to ignore them and hope that they would go away on their own.

They did.
Lest this blog becomes too self-centered I’ve include some pictures of the adorable Chris Gorham. Instead of reading about my thoughts and fears you can just look at the pretty pictures. Don’t say I never do anything for you.

I’m still a bit blown away by all the new impressions and people. It’s amazing how many times I’ve told different people today who I am and where I’m from and what I’ve been doing with my life so far and what I see myself doing in 5 years.

It’s been exhausting. But one of them looked at me in awe and said she was impressed by how I knew what I wanted and where I am going.

From someone looking at my life right now, it’s almost scary how much zen everything seems to be. I’ve got the perfect job. I got into the perfect study-program. My life is heading in the perfect direction.

But you know what?

Nothing is perfect.

Except maybe Chris?

If somebody looks at my life and see perfection, they’re not seeing the whole story.

Truth is I’ve spent all of my life being unsure of myself and unfocused and confused. I’ve realized I can’t keep going like that. I’ve got to start to head in one direction. I’m done standing still. I’m going to do something – anything, and then hope that it’s the right thing.

* The title of this blogpost, is from the song The Man of a Thousand Faces by Regina Spektor.

6 comments:

Gap_Theory said...

You're so lucky Mr. Horse hasn't started commenting on here.

Cat Jensen said...

Maybe I've just been deleting his comments?

... *evil laugh*

Gap_Theory said...

Well played.

Congrats on the job. I actually work with WSS, although I doubt on the scale that you do. I built an end user site (software installs, etc.), indexed OCR'd PDF storage site for Traffic, and our I.T. site for KB, metric tracking, and project management. Hooray for dorky pursuits.

Tommy Jarvis said...

I taught gap everything he knows about WSS. Just saying.

Cat Jensen said...

@Tommy: Duly noted. You will now be known as Sharepoint-sensei to me.

At the moment I'm playing around with Infopath and Sharepoint Designer to create different kinds of workflows. If any of you guys happen to be experts within that particular field, you might just become my new bestest friend of all the friendliest friends in the world.

(The power of suggestion: We are now friends. Repeat. We are now friends)

Gap_Theory said...

Sorry, haven't played around with that. I know Tommy was using SP designer, but I'm not sure if he was doing anything with Infopath.