Sunday, September 4, 2011

Invisible emotional damage

I saw the movie Friends with Benefits last night, the one with Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis. The set-up was that he was emotional unavailable and she was emotionally damaged. Instead of trying to have a relationship, they would just be friends with benefits.

 

The movie was entertaining enough, sprinkled with good jokes. It was a bit predictable, but you know, it’s a romantic comedy. It kind of has to be predictable.

All in all I liked it.

But. I don’t quite see what emotional damage Mila Kunis’ character had.

The only reason I know she supposedly has this emotional damage, is because I was told so by herself and almost every other character in the movie. I didn’t see any actual damage. This evidently invisible emotional damage didn’t affect her life or the choices she made in any capacity, at least as far as I could discern. The way she was portrayed in the movie, she seemed like a perfectly normal late 20-something woman.

Apart from developing feelings for the guy she was supposed to only have a sexual relationship with, and then being terrible at being honest with him, she acted like a responsible adult.

What annoys me is that it really wouldn’t have been that difficult to show that she had some issues or emotional scars.*


It’s not that Kunis’ character is perfect. She has flaws like any other person. But she isn’t emotionally damaged (unless it’s a sign of emotional damage to believe in true love and that there is a right guy for you out there - which apparently is the case in this movie).

I mean, if she’s emotionally damaged, then I belong in the freaking mental institution (and maybe I do, but shhh, don’t tell anyone).

This movie was a nice reminder of the age-old adage: Show, don’t tell.

*If you want to see a female character with emotional damage in a romantic comedy, check out Cameron Diaz in The Holiday (a great movie, by the way).

2 comments:

Pembry said...

I think she is emotionally scarred in the sense that compared to the awesome, cool, handsome, talented, (did I mention handsome?) demigod that is Justin Timberlake, we are all pitiful worms. Wait, what were we talking about again?

Cat Jensen said...

We were talking about Justin Timberlake's abs. And how we get to see them in the movie. Alot.

That's what we should take away from this movie.

If you are (kindda) emotionally damaged, you will end up with a guy with great abs.