Tuesday, August 2, 2011

'Suiting up' to face reality

I am an avid watcher of  TV-shows and right now there are so many great shows out there. I’ve recently begun watching ‘Suits’ (a show on the wonderful USA network – seriously, I love that network).

I’m having difficulties explaining to people what exactly it is that I like so much about it. First off, there are now vampires in it. No supernatural beings. No violence.

What it does have is an abundance of great dialogue and witty banter between the characters in the show.

Here’s the trailer:


Don’t be fooled by the setting. ‘Suits’ is so much more than just a guy getting a job as a lawyer.

It’s a about a young man who wasted his potential, but through a stroke of luck get a second chance. It’s about getting what you always wanted, finding that it was harder than you thought, but still sticking it out, because it’s worth it.

Patrick J. Adams, who plays the main-character Mike Ross, explains what drew him to the show:
"The thing that inspired me most about Mike was this idea of getting to a place in your life where you finally have to make the decision to go after what you say you've always wanted."
By the way, this is Patrick. Isn't he just adorable with that cello? No, he doesn't play a cello in 'Suits'. I just really liked the picture.


It’s always interesting to see characters that are faced with choices that mirror those you are experiencing in your own life.

Maybe a bit of setup is necessary? I’d had a rough couple of days before the weekend. Unexpected bills and a sucky day at the job was all it took to bring me down. I needed some confirmation that all my hard work wasn’t wasted. That even though things weren’t going my way career-wise, I wasn’t wasting my time.

‘Suits’ gave that to me.

It’s cheesy, but it gave me just the right combination of distraction and inspiration to get me ready for work Monday morning.

It’s just a TV-show, but it helped me face my own reality. So yeah. Thanks for that, dear creators of 'Suits'.

2 comments:

Patrice said...

Loved this post! That's how I feel about the show "Suits" as well :) It's brilliant.

Cat Jensen said...

Thank you :-)

It really is a great show and they've already been renewed for a second season, so we get the pleasure of seeing even more of it.