Saturday, May 21, 2011

Inspirational advice: Director's cut

I feel like I’m being haunted by good advice. From every corner of the interweb I’ve gotten inspirational speeches thrown at me. Maybe the universe sensed a need in me and then promptly sought to fulfill it. I like that thought. Anything that puts me in the center of the universe is a strangely comforting thought (no, I'm not narcissistic, why’d you say that?)

Looking back, I can see that it started with this post by Kiersten White. It’s very inspirational for all us fantasy-writer. Fantastic artwork as well.

Here’s a limerick about jumping over the deep pit of despair filled with ice-cream (just watch it - you’ll get it)

There’s the full version of Carpe Diem. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I didn't know that 'carpe diem' only were the two first words. The full version (in English) is: “Seize the day, believing as little as possible in the future.” (I feel as if I've just been shown the director's cut of a piece of inspirational advice).

And then there’s this one, a commencement speech by Robert Krulwich to Berkeley Journalism School’s Class of 2011.
It’s long, but it hits a nerve. For me the essence was two simple questions: Why wait? And why assume that someone will take care of you?

Nike’s ‘Just Do It’ tag-line is in my head now. (This, by the way, is a very justifiable use of the word ‘just’)

But seriously. Just do it. Jump across that deep pit of despair filled with ice-cream.

That’s what I intend to do.

We might fall. If I do, you can bet I’ll come running to this blog and whine about it.

But maybe, just maybe we’ll get to fly.

No comments: