Monday, May 16, 2011

A day in the life of me

6.45. The alarm on my phone rings. I’ve gotten maybe 6 hours sleep at this point. I slam it shut and it goes out. I vaguely register that it is low on power.

7.47. I open my eyes. Shouldn’t the alarmed have sounded again? Shouldn’t I be out and about? I look at my phone. It’s off. And then I remember that it was low on power. I quickly stumble out of bed. First thing I do is plug in my phone. And then I’m a whirlwind of movement as I get myself ready to face the world.

08.09. I leave my apartment. Amazing how quickly I can get myself ready for work right? I can inform you that I did not have time to apply make-up. I did get to brush my teeth, so that’s always something.

08.17. In the train on my way to work and I swear to never drink coffee again. I had two cups during Sunday. The result was I didn’t sleep until way too late. I like to sleep. Preferably 8 hours. Sometimes more. I look out of the window and listen to music. Jason Mraz, Geek in the Pink, among others.

8.41. I arrive at work. The others are still eating breakfast and I join them with my bottle of water. Talk of the weekend ensues. I’m the youngest in the group and still the only one who wasn’t out partying it up. I don’t mind. I like not being hung-over. And I spent my time watching Doctor Who. No party is better than that.

8.57. Sitting in front of my email and work starts. It’s a slow day. But time still passes remarkably quickly.  I teach my replacement lots of new stuff. But don’t really get anything done myself. There were some technical difficulties as well and that also slowed down the day.

12.06 LUNCH! I get out in the cafeteria later than usual. There aren’t any vacant seats with the rest of my department, so I sit down at the table with some IT-guys. And then more stories about the weekend ensue. It really seems as if I were the only one who weren’t intoxicated this past weekend. Yay me?
Anyway, I somehow get the IT-guys to help me with the summer-party I’m throwing at work. Thank God. I was beginning to feel like I was alone with it.

12.43 Lunch is over. It’s weird, but it’s felt like the most productive part of my day so far.

12.48 More work. I honestly can’t remember what I did. A lot of running from one floor to the next and back again. I have a feeling I actually got something done. The technical difficulties were resolved.

14.32 My replacement leaves. I briefly consider doing actual work, but decide against it. She’s supposed to learn all aspects of my job. Can’t very well steal a chance for learning something away from her, can I? So I surf the Internet. Among other things I read this article (you should read it too).

15:15 I begin to think that I’ve now scoured the Internet enough. I open a program on my computer and begin to do my homework (why yes, I do love my job, very much indeed!).  I work full-time but I guess I had too much spare-time, because I started attending a computer programming class. The exam is in 3 weeks. I don’t feel nearly well enough prepared.

15:56 My boss who is sitting opposite of me says that he is done for the day. Asks if I’m ready to go as well. I am. Oh boy I am. But it’s raining outside and I don’t want to get wet. It’s a 15-minute walk from the office to the train-station. I tell him as much and he offers to give me a lift to the station. And as quick as a crack of a whip, we’re out of there.

16.06 I’m in the train headed towards Copenhagen. Work is done for the day. But what do to with the rest of the afternoon and evening?

16.36 I’m in a local shop. It’s having a sale because it’s moving to a different location. I buy some clothes I don’t really need. I need new shoes though. Must really buy new shoes. I also buy the ugliest notebook I’ve ever laid eyes on. I’m going to use it make my daily affirmations. I will probably talk about those another day.

17.06 I’m home. At last. I like my home. I change clothes. I’m off work now. No reason to wear work-clothes any more.

17.08 I do my first ever affirmations. Feel really silly as I do them.

17.25 I’m sitting on my bed trying to decide what to do for the evening. Stay home? Go out? Do homework? Write on my story? To help me make this decision I use Tarot cards.

17.50 I leave for a café near City Hall Plaza in Copenhagen. It’s still raining. I don’t mind. I like rain. I’m now wearing make-up. Not a lot, just enough to make me feel prettier than usual. I like to feel pretty.

18.13 I’m at the café. The barista is singing songs to himself and being really nice. I secretly wish that he would be 5 years older. His nametag says Viktor. I should really use that name in a story. I order a brownie and a single-shot small latte. Yes. That's right, I'm already drinking coffee again. But it's only a single-shot so I firgure it will be alright.

18.25 First I surf. Then I do homework. I actually get a lot done.

19.37 Feeling tired. I guess I should have bought a regular coffee instead of a single-shot latte.

20.02 Ooooh, free coffee samples are being handed out. Yay!

20.43 I decide to write a blogpost. This blogpost.

21.04 First draft of blogpost is done. Now I just got to decide if it is worth publishing.

21.31 Blogpost polished and soon-to-be published.

And now I have to decide what to do next. I'm over-caffeinated (again - damn you free coffee!) so sleep isn't really an option for the next couple of hours. I think I'll go home and write on my WIP. That's always a good way to end a day.

No comments: