Thursday, February 24, 2011

The game of life? Yeah, you just lost it.

I don’t want to write this blogpost. I like having Aaron Paul smiling and saying ‘Hey!’ to me when I open my blog.

But all good things must come to an end.

Everything, actually, has to come to an end. One day, all your teeth will have fallen out, the love of your life will be dead and you can’t remember what you had for breakfast because your mind is slowly eaten by dementia. And that is the best case scenario of you getting to live a long and full life.

Depressed yet? Yeah. Me too.

But what if the fact that everything ends, is a good thing?

Stick with me, as I try to explain.

Once you realize that all that you have and all that you want is nothing but temporary and will come to an end, you are free to let that which does not matter, truly slide.

(yeah – I just paraphrased a line from Fight Club*, so sue me)

If all things come to an end and everything is temporary, that means this precise moment in time is all we’ve got. Just this one moment and what we choose to do with it.

What I‘m trying to say is that if nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things, then YOU get to decide what you want to assign value.
All the ‘Bad stuff’ doesn’t matter nor does all the ‘Good stuff’. What matters is what you choose to let affect you.

You get to choose if you stress over the next exam or feel bad for eating too much ice-cream or laugh at a funny joke. You get to choose if getting dumped was the worst thing that happened to you or not.

I’m not saying you should deny the existence of ‘Bad stuff’. ‘Bad stuff’ is real and it happens (sometimes it seems like it happens all the time). But you get to decide what impact it has on your life. Does it destroy you? Or do you shrug it off an keep on going?

Another spin on this topic is this vlog. Enjoy.



* If you’ve never watched this movie, you really should. It’s fantastic. Every time I watch it, it gets my mind thinking, bubbling with ideas. It’s not for the faint-hearted, though.

2 comments:

Mariah Irvin said...

Great post! Also, I LOVE the vlogbrothers! I went to a John Green book signing last July... amazing!

Cat Jensen said...

You got to meet John Green? Argh, I'm just ... dumbfounded by envy. He's actually been to Denmark, but that was years ago (and I didn't even know he existed then). But meeting him and Hank are definitely on my bucket list.

And thanks for the compliment!