Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Bite out of New York City


I’m alone.

For the first time since Thursday I’ve spent more than 20 minutes by myself.

I’m sitting at a café a block and a half down from the hotel. It was deemed an acceptable distance by my sister. She takes her responsibilities as Big Sister very seriously and I can’t blame her. I wouldn’t have my parents be pissed/disappointed at me either. And as my father would say, “New York is a very big and a very dangerous city”. While that is true, you guys would cringe if I told you some of the stuff my parents have lectured me about before I left. Suffice to say my father is capable of some very creative thinking regarding things to be wary of. I never knew he had such an active imagination

I’ve come to accept that as the youngest of 4 siblings I’ll always be the baby even though I’m 25. And not just to my parents – my siblings as well, to some extent anyway.

I’ve been in NYC for 3½ days now. It’s an overwhelmingly big city. But I’ve found the café I’m sitting on right now and it’s beginning to feel more like a city I actually like – and not just this huge grey mass of buildings and people dotted with yellow cabs.

I never really feel at home in any city before I’ve found a café I ‘click’ with.

Anyway. The amount of stuff I’ve done and things I’ve seen is overwhelming. The days seem to go on and on and on. I mean this in a good way. But it’s definitely also exhausting.

By the way, how come it’s so freaking difficult to find any apples in a city nicknamed ‘The Big Apple’? I looked in every shop I came near. Finally I located some and promptly bought them. I happily paid the 2 dollars a piece that they cost.

And then I take a bite and it tastes sour and sorta tangy. I had wanted something sweet and juicy and this wasn’t it.

Maybe it’s the universe’s way of being ironic. Or maybe New York City really is like a big apple. Or maybe I'm reading too much into one bad apple.

I'll talk you soon.

6 comments:

Gap_Theory said...

You ate a Granny Smith apple. They're fucking delicious.

Gap_Theory said...

Also, you should go here:
http://www.boweryballroom.com/

Bilbo and I went there to see Modest Mouse a few years ago. We accidentally chugged the scotch we bought at the bar and he got thrown out for smoking. Then we took a cab back to meet Pembry and we didn't have any money, so I jumped out and ran for my life. The cabbie took off with Bilbo still in it. Ahhh memories.

Cat Jensen said...

Do you guys ever do something together that does not involve sports and/or large amounts of alcohol? Oh wait. The blog you collaborate on, of course.

Anyway, I'm in Seattle now, so I'll have to stop by next I'm in NYC. It looks like a cool place.

Pembry said...

Do NOT take any advice from Gap on New York. Listen to me instead!

/shamelessly plugs blog post on Weak Thrust

Cat Jensen said...

Plug accepted.

Gap_Theory said...

/gets washed away by sexual undercurrent