Monday, July 11, 2011

CopyCats

For the longest while, I would see all these cool things around me and marvel at them. I would never dare to make them my own and try to get the coolness into my own life. I would just sit by the sideline and appreciate the beautiful things around me.

Who was I to think that I could pull of that hair-do? Who was I to even consider pursuing a career as a writer? The only place I’d ever be awesome would be in my dreams. Who was I?  No one special. And as such, I couldn’t do anything special.

But you know what? That’s not the way life works.

It’s not a case of ‘She has it, so I can’t have it too’. Being awesome isn’t some kind of child’s toy that only one person is allowed to play with at a time.

I wish somebody would have told me that. Maybe someone did. I wish I would have believed them.

Life is not a case of you either have it or you don’t.

If you see something you like, you are allowed to copy it. I’d even encourage it.

Somewhere along the way, it became a big no-no to be a copycat. You were supposed to be awesome just by being you. And maybe there are people out there who can do that, but I couldn’t. As a teenager I had no idea who I was or even who I wanted to be.

It sucked.

And because I felt so decidedly un-awesome, I came to the conclusion that I just didn’t have what it took to be awesome. I obviously wasn’t anything special. I didn’t deserve anything special.

But that’s not true.

I’m not saying that we’re all unique little snowflakes with superstars and rockstars inside of us. We’re not.

Tyler Durden agrees with me. 

But that doesn’t mean that our lives can’t be awesome.

Quite the contrary.

Not to be a Debbie-downer, but we are all going to die. It’s pretty much the only thing in life you can count on so get used to the idea that this is all you get.

Since this life is all we get, doesn’t it makes sense to cram as much awesome in it as humanly possible?

If I see something I like, I mimic it and try to adapt it to my own life.

I’m a CopyCat and proud of it.

No comments: